PDA

View Full Version : Great hardware

nattivillin
October 6th, 2009, 02:52 PM
I thought i would make a thread about what hardware choices we all make. Whenever we fall in love with a great piece of hardware, they change it! So we are frequently testing out new hardware.

Would anyone like to share great hardware they use for themselves or customers?

chrisits
October 7th, 2009, 03:08 PM
SBOX by Checkpoint. A great firewall / VPN / etc.
Lenovo's X series laptops (especially the new low voltage s series)
APC UPSs
HP ProLiant Servers
Samsung SyncMaster T220 LCD display

smelvin
October 13th, 2009, 01:58 PM
Here are our trustworthy contenders...

Draytek ADSL/SDSL routers (some really cool gear)
APC (for all UPS)
Dell for business desktops/server/laptops, Acer for consumer (although we don't sell to Joe public)
Netgear ReadyNAS (just love it, I have one in my house)

Plus many more, but these five manufacturer's on the whole, have not let us down too badly.

Cheers

Scott

nattivillin
December 28th, 2009, 09:56 PM
We just had the chance to check out a demo unit from sonicwall and i was impressed. It did what the mid range cisco boxes did, for 1/2 the cost. We installed it in a test environment, and wee see how well it performs.

Yaredo
December 30th, 2009, 02:22 PM
Dell servers and work stations( Excellent support)
Logitech mouse and keyboard
HP Printers
Canon Copiers

Cheers
Jared

natrat
February 6th, 2010, 03:17 PM
HP Proliant servers
Lenovo M/A series SFF desktops
Snapgear/McAfee Secure computing firewall/VPN routers
Draytek DSL modem/routers

Printers/MFPs - jury still out. not totally happy with any of them. HP seems to be plagued with reliability issues on these units except the odd model which just goes and goes. I have 8-9 year old laserjet 4100 units that are still working flawlessly when the 12 month old 2100 series has had two onsites visits already by HP.

The drayteks are rock solid and are excellent for creating VPNs between offices. Stable like you wouldnt believe.

bpennell
February 8th, 2010, 09:26 AM
My engineers tell me there is a known compatibility problem with APC batteries, and some Proliant G6 servers. Even though they work with the G5 servers.

It appears to be a G6 firmware issue, and not the UPS. So, even though I think both products are great, you may not want to pair the two products together.

bpennell
February 8th, 2010, 09:48 AM
"I put in a call to APC, and was told that the UPS was not compatible with HP’s new fancy shmansy green star rating power supplies. We had to buy a new UPS because of some “sine wave” mumbo jumbo (UPS engineer talk that I really wasn’t interested in)."

http://www.cleverworkarounds.com/category/sharepoint/troubleshooting/
http://forums11.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=1387784