PDA

View Full Version : Windows 7

chrisits
December 2nd, 2009, 06:08 AM
We've just completed upgrading one of our customers from a mix of Windows XP/Vista to Windows 7.

The customer looks OK with the upgrade but I don't think that they see a lot of added value for the money they paid for the upgrade (licenses and our work).

I'm not sure that we'll promote similar upgrades in the near future, unless the customer specifically asks for it.

Do you actively promote upgrades to Windows 7?

danny-pcs
December 3rd, 2009, 07:53 AM
We wait until the customer asks about it and wants to upgrade. We do not actively promote it.

smelvin
December 5th, 2009, 01:24 PM
I agree with Danny. There basically is no 'need' to upgrade, in other words what feature of Windows 7 make you immediately say 'That will solve one of my clients biggest problem'.

Unless the upgrade can make a measurable difference to your clients experience or better still, bottom line, it ain't worth it and never will be.

I don't have too many reservations on recommending it with a new PC, but if your clients LOB application ain't Windows 7 (or even Vista) ready, forget it.

Don't get me wrong, the inner geek in me jumps out at every opportunity at new software or gadgets. Honestly you should see it when we get deliveries! Our admin girl just can't understand why we get so exited!

The bottom line is that Windows 7 is a solution looking for a problem.

Cheers

Scott

cforger
December 10th, 2009, 09:24 AM
I don't agree with the other two posts.

Windows 7 is excellent. We've been on it since RC1, converted our office and even our tech benches to it.

Don't upgrade. Fresh install, and watch what Vista should have been.

Fast as XP, some nice Mac touches, security of Vista - a very complete package.

We're going to force our customers on to 7 Pro at some point in 2010 - When you combine with 2008 R2, Group Policy Preferences, etc. It's all a very slick package. Watch how well file sync works on a 2008 R2 network with W7 pro machines... the list of things that now just work well is very long.

nattivillin
December 17th, 2009, 01:47 PM
Microsoft did a good job of getting people to ask about it. We wait until the customers ask about it before we "soft" sell it though. For most people the cost of the investment is more than they are willing to pay. For basic users, we just give them the cost and let them decide if they want it

WIN7 is nice, and we are slowly upgrading all our machines.

wtbservices
December 19th, 2009, 10:44 AM
We are all Win7 in the office but we don't advocate upgrading existing systems to clients. The benefits just don't justify the cost of the upgrade plus the labor. We recommend getting new systems with Windows 7 but leave the existing systems as is.

-David-
May 31st, 2011, 10:44 AM
It has to be said that windows 7 is a huge move forward from XP, especially in a corporate enviroment. It allows many more granular policys to be set.

Also why would you not encourage users to upgrade from XP, yea its a good system but with no support from microsoft and just the essential security updates it is an extinct OS. Not to mention the inbuilt security features.

nattivillin
June 4th, 2011, 07:33 AM
For a small businesses the move to W7 means more money with very little return (in their eyes). In most cases in my eyes. From the user standpoint, it still works, and they don't see any improvement. Internet is the same speed, file sharing is the same speed, it looks better but it doesn't do things better for their sake.

It often requires purchasing new computers, new software, new printers, etc. many olders programs do not work on W7, and many older printers do not as well.

A big can of worms each and every time we've done one.

If they request it, i'm all for it. I am no longer recommending it, unless they have a problem that will be resolved or an enhancement made by going to W7.