PDA

View Full Version : Pin CommitCRM to the Task Bar

jbakic
January 5th, 2010, 08:07 AM
Anyone figure out how to pin CommitCRM to the task bar or start menu in Windows 7? It appears that you can't do it for some reason.

Thanks

Support Team
January 5th, 2010, 08:31 AM
Hi,

Thanks for posting this.
The Windows 7 taskbar does not allow you to pin any file that is not on your local hard disk, or a shortcut to any place not on your local hard disk. This includes RangerMSP, since RangerMSP is run over a network share to each computer.

Perhaps there may be a workaround solution in Google that may be able to allow the taskbar to pin the RangerMSP.exe file to the taskbar. Let us know if you make any progress with this.

Regards,
Neta

jbakic
January 5th, 2010, 11:02 AM
Thanks. I did a work around by creating a batch file that launches the commitCRM.exe file and pinned that to the start menu.

Jim

Support Team
January 5th, 2010, 11:07 AM
Hi Jim,

Thanks for telling us.
Let us know if you need anything else.

Regards,
Neta

DynamicIT
February 14th, 2011, 07:35 PM
Has anyone come up with a more elegant solution than this? I would really like an icon that pops up a CommitCRM session that is already open instead of launching a new session.

lpopejoy
February 15th, 2011, 07:05 AM
Try this, it works for me: http://brandongoodman.posterous.com/pin-a-shortcut-to-a-rogram-or-file-on-a-netwo

lpopejoy
February 15th, 2011, 07:16 AM
Just tried the above (it's been a while since I had done that), and it didn't work, because I don't have a "Properties" option in my right click context menu. Here's some additional steps that may help:

Pin calculator to TaskBar

- Click start > All Programs > Accessories > right-click calculator > select Pin to TaskBar

* These next steps are all completed from the TaskBar folder

- Open Windows Explorer and navigate to: %userprofile%\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch\User Pinned\TaskBar

Change the application target location

Locate the pinned program (calculator) in this folder.

- Right-click the program > select Properties

- Under the shortcut tab locate Target > In Target change location to application location using the mapped drive letter.

- Click Apply

Change the Icon

- Right-click the program > select Properties

- Select Change Icon

- Select Icon

- Click OK

Mister-c
February 15th, 2011, 07:19 AM
Thanks lpopejoy!
That has been bugging me for a while. I can't believe it was so simple!

Mister-c
February 15th, 2011, 07:20 AM
Oh and to get properties on the right click menu you have to hold down shift ;)

lpopejoy
February 15th, 2011, 07:27 AM
Weird, it still doesn't work for me... did that work for you? Funny thing is I know I had this working at some point in the past.

Mister-c
February 15th, 2011, 09:51 AM
I followed the instructions from the original link you posted and it works fine here. The important bit was to hold shift down when pressing the right mouse button to get the properties option on the menu.

DynamicIT
February 28th, 2011, 05:06 PM
BRILLIANT thank you, lpopejoy. :)

Commit, could you please put this workaround in your documentation and/or develop a little application which asks for the path to the exe file and does it for you. I see it as a facility that most customers would like to have set up as people move from XP to Windows 7.