PDA

View Full Version : Considering Contracting

bpennell
February 25th, 2010, 03:56 PM
I'm actually thinking of leaving my current company and contracting to their competitors. I have a good reputation in the industry, so why would I want to start my own company?

I can contract to IT companies, communications companies, security companies, and about any other company that wishes to integrate their product with the internet. Someone has to bridge the divide between their product and their ISP.

I would place myself on retainer with the company, so I'm technically an employee, and for an additional fee, I would associate one of my certifications, so they could become a Cisco Partner, VMware reseller, etc.

Think about the IT companies that run feast or famine. At certain times they are backlogged, and run the risk of losing the customer. That's where I'd fit in.

Or how about IT companies that need a clean-up hitter?

I'm thinking of adjusting my labor rate to the number of hours per month the client would CommitCRM to, and in all honesty, I'd be more interested in clients that are willing to pay a higher rate for a smaller commitment.

As long as there's a non-disclosure and non-compete, I should be able to pickup clients within these industries.

Do you see any problems with the idea, or suggestions of other verticals that I should pursue?

Any help would be appreciated.

pops1000uk
August 8th, 2010, 06:47 AM
This is one of my pet hates when running my IT business! Giving employees too much info.

I would think what would happen to your employer and what contract you signed

pyro77
August 12th, 2010, 08:30 PM
And lets just throw integrity out the window! You say you have a good reputation in the industry... how good will that reputation be after you go work for your current employer's competitors?

John Greenfield
August 26th, 2010, 03:01 AM
Are you kidding? you must be right? offering your certs so that employers can become partners for Microsoft, Cisco etc is hardly a selling point; neither is the blatant lack of integrity. This is what really annoys me as an employer; someone who THINKS they have the right to dictate terms. Good luck finding work; just remember to mention this forum in your application.

bpennell
September 1st, 2010, 10:00 AM
Hmm.

I paid for the training and testing for all of my certifications. I am under no obligation to stay with any employer indefinitely. My contract expires in 2 months, with no non-compete.

What is the turnover rate for your engineers? 3-5 years? I've been with this company 13 years.

I have every right to seek employment elsewhere or go into business for myself using the skills that I have acquired throughout life.

What pisses me off is employers who think they OWN me. (Sounds like some of you)

I can understand your frustration because I have employees who leave my current employer who HAVE had training paid for by the company. Who take customer lists, and confidential information. So, I know where you're coming from.

But because I'm seeking employment elsewhere is no reason to question my integrity.

Providing the knowledge of the existence of Tech Data or Ingram Micro is hardly revealing anything to a knowledgeable tech especially when we all know about other online vendors that are cheaper.

pyro77
September 9th, 2010, 09:36 PM
The reason we were questioning your integrity is because in your first post you said you were going to quit the company you worked at for 13 years and contract to their competitors... that's all.

Anyways, this reminds me why I need to get my two new hires to sign our non-compete.

Cheers,

wtbservices
September 18th, 2010, 01:20 PM
bpennell may be a little naive but he can do what he is saying and maintain his integrity. As long as he doesn't take anything away from his current employer (including client network documentation, client lists, software etc.) he should be fine. If he isn't happy where he is then he is free pursue other opportunities and as bad we business owners dislike it, that includes going to competitors.

I say he is a bit naive because of the things he mentions and because he is asking here. I have been in this industry a long time and most techs that I know who have had more than 5 years of experience have tried to start their own business. The failure rate is astronomical and it has nothing to do with reputation in the industry or being able to pick up clients.

nattivillin
October 21st, 2010, 08:08 AM
Glad we had our lawyers draw up non-competes several years ago and make everyone sign it as a condition of employment. -Whew

That being said, your employer does not own you or your skills. Even if they paid for training, that is part of the game. Better training = better employees. Its the give - take part of the process that happens at every job. You should leave with more than you came in with IMO.

As to integrity, your current employer owns all of their customers, contacts, pricing, terms, and everything else about their relationships. Probably verything you have been exposed to in the 13 years there.

Even calling one of their current customers already knowing the type of support they need, pricing, with a plan to poach a current client is unethical. IMO

Saying you are going to work for a competitor is pretty much implied because any job you get will probably be the competition unless you change careers.

You are pretty much starting your own business and i applaud that. I started in the closet of a 2 bdrm. Just start fresh and don't poach. Take your experience and knowledge and blaze the trail.