PDA

View Full Version : Centrally managed AV/ security software for small biz

natrat
January 3rd, 2011, 04:10 PM
What do you guys use? I have been using Trendmicro Worry Free Business Security for some years but the last three versions have been utter shite, processes spiking, huge slowdowns unles you turn off all the extra stuff they added, random lag on some PCs etc. I am over it and want to go to something else.

Target market is small businesses running 5-20 workstations. Needs a central console for management, update rollout etc. Have seen the AVG product which looks pretty mature but not sure about AVG's detection quality - have seen enoguh home PCs rampantly infected running AVG.

any other suggestions?

cheers
nathan

nattivillin
January 3rd, 2011, 08:28 PM
We actually sell AVG's network product. It's network managing features are pretty cool, but it has gotten worse over time. They probably think it's better because they added more features, but what always ends up happening is they break the stuff that did work well.

We are primarily consumer focused, we have removed viruses from infected systems running every possible AV program. After 10 years of this, I have come to this conclusion, it is 25% AV program and 75% user.

One person will come in terribly infected and have norton, mcafee, trend micro, esot, antivir, or whatever, and the next person will come in with the cheaper and lesser know companies and only have 1-2 infections.

AV is a necessary evil. They don't work that well, but we know we should get them anyway.

bkendall
January 5th, 2011, 01:35 AM
We use Panda Cloud Protection http://cloudprotection.pandasecurity.com/what/index.php and it has worked very well for us. It is really easy to manage, great support and sales staff and very light weight!

They also have a free version for home use. http://www.cloudantivirus.com/en/download/cloud-antivirus/free

Brad Kendall
www.bradkendall.ca
brad@bradkendall.ca

natrat
January 5th, 2011, 05:28 AM
I'll take a look at Panda - I use their USB vaccinne tool but have never checked out their AV for business. Ta.

I-Netcs
March 2nd, 2011, 06:29 PM
I've tried Panda, and it caused various issues like can't install printer and certain applications. Even if the AV is disabled.

Trend tried based on the feedback here, and it sucked totally slowed down systems and network.

Even though Symantec Endpoint is supposedly horrible it's better than the first two i mentioned. Although I'm nota fan of the new admin panel, I liked the old one, and everything was done in real time vs now scheduled when the policy is deployed.

I used AVG a in lke version 8, that ran ok, but the control panel again didn't impress me.

Why can't someone make a good AV, that don't trash performance terribly and include malware and spyware as a virus, rather than try to sell us 2-3 different apps to provide comprehensive protection.

AN-Tech
March 3rd, 2011, 10:56 AM
Try Vipre, been very happy with it. Good console, low overhead on the clients.

itforce
March 8th, 2011, 03:07 PM
I agree with ascendnet. We also use vipre and the managment console. Plus if you have labtech MSP then you can purchase it via them at a much better rate and enjoy higher margins.

Vipre is very lightweight and won't slow the machines down.

natrat
March 14th, 2011, 04:44 AM
I'd never heard of Vipre before. Will take a look.

lpopejoy
March 24th, 2011, 04:49 AM
We've been using Vipre for over a year. It isnt perfect, but it's lightweight, decent at catching threats, US based sales and support, priced very competitively, and an excellent console for the enterprise licenses. Oh, they have a "home site license" too which is awesome for consumers who have more than two pc's.

natrat
April 4th, 2011, 05:28 AM
Shame about the Samsung false positive :)

AN-Tech
April 4th, 2011, 07:59 AM
natrat, not sure what you are referring to.

natrat
April 7th, 2011, 03:40 PM
http://www.zdnet.com/blog/hardware/samsung-keylogger-is-a-gfi-vipre-antivirus-false-positive/12128

Was over all the tech news sites.

I'm going to give it a whirl though.