PDA

View Full Version : RDX drives

nattivillin
March 18th, 2012, 08:34 AM
Anyone using any? Do they live up to the hype? I was looking at getting a few to test, but I didn't want to waste my time if they don't work as intended.

LeCutus
March 21st, 2012, 06:02 AM
I have installed them on one site and they have been running for a couple of months. The customer seems to like them.

Must admit I have not bounced them around to see if they are actually as robust as claimed.

The only major gotcha with them is that they are NOT supported by Server 2008 and consequently not by SBS 2011 etc. I.e. you cannot use the inbuilt backup software for imaging etc. and need to pay extra for something like BackupAssist. Never did get to the bottom of why, just a decision made by the Server 2008 team.

With BA they function great.

Hope this helps.

Gary

itforce
March 21st, 2012, 05:00 PM
RDX backups are our standard solution now. We use the tandberg RDX drives (sata internal) and tandberg rdx cartridges. They are best used in combination with a backup imaging program. In our case we use them with Shadow Protect.

Mike

hayden
March 29th, 2012, 04:44 AM
RDX have never really taken off to be honest. I don't see them being around in the years to come. Too expensive for what they are.

nattivillin
April 8th, 2012, 04:52 PM
Update - We ordered 2 RDX drives and 4 x 320Gb cartridges. This thing is amazing. It is the simplicity of using a USB flash drive. Once the drive is loaded, windows sees it as a standard drive. It is sata 3G and it made a backup at over 400MB/s.

It is like a tape, but with the speed of a hard drive!