PDA

View Full Version : Common Field for Primary & Secondary Contacts

cait76
June 22nd, 2014, 05:03 AM
Hiya

All my accounts have an account number in the format XXXYYY. However, I would like to implement a unique internal ID for each contact, both primary and secondary.

I see ID field on the main account field - perfect. But this only accommodates the Primary contact - ie, i can't see a way of adding the ID field to the secondary contact.

What i want to achieve is an Internal ID column in the account list - where each contact has a unique ID. When i use the ID field, the secondary contacts don't have this value.

Looking at the secondary contacts data - I see a "Code" field - which i could use, but i cannot see a corresponding entry in the primary contact fields.

Is there anyway i can have a field that both Primary and Secondary contacts can refer to by means of an Internal ID - similar to phone number, e-mail address, address etc etc.

Thanks in advance
Colin.

cait76
June 22nd, 2014, 05:40 AM
Hold the bus. Found a solution i think?

Create a custom tab in the accounts, then add in the Code field (visible on Secondary Contact Form). Viola, i now have a common code field for Primary and Secondary contacts.

Seems to work anyway?

Support Team
June 23rd, 2014, 06:00 AM
Yes adding the Contact Code in a custom tab may work. You will have to take into account though that it is not considered a unique field so you have to track that manually.

As an alternative you may find the internal RECID field (Record ID), which is unique, to be useful. It is available for Secondary Contacts (see the button at the bottom right of the Contact popup) and for main Accounts at the bottom of the Notes tab. You can add the Record ID column to the Tickets list - right-click the list, select Table Options > Add/Remove Columns > Record ID.