PDA

View Full Version : Ticket custom field limit

Rohizam
March 4th, 2009, 10:14 PM
Hi,

I need to use the custom field to me my other vendor case id.
Is there any limitation of how many can i key in? or is there a limit on the numbers of character?

Support Team
March 5th, 2009, 08:47 AM
Hi Rohizam,

I'm not sure I fully understand what you are referring to - if you mean using the Ticket Field1 to store your vendors case IDs, you can basically use any character you want. You can double-click the field name to open the field properties window, and see the field length (i.e. how many characters you can enter) and other properties.

I hope this helps.

Sherry

Rohizam
March 5th, 2009, 05:18 PM
Hi,

Yes, i want to store my vendor case id on the Field1.
If im going to do this its going to be alot of numbers. My worry is that there are limitation to of how many numbers i can store. If there are limits (let say i can only store about 255 numbers in the list of "Field1" ) then i cannot use this "field1" as my vendor case id.

I need my vendor case id to be in one of the field in the tickets so that i will be able to pull this data to the report im designing.

Support Team
March 6th, 2009, 06:19 AM
Rohizam,

Thanks for the additional info. Here's more information the may help -

* The Tickets' Field1 data field can hold up to 30 characters.

* It is a text field that can hold numbers, letters and other visual characters.

* You can modify the name and label of this field and name it 'Vendor Case #' (or anything else you like), for this right click over the Field1 label, select the Field Settings... option and update the field name and label in the field properties/settings window that opens.

* The field supports a selections from a drop-down list, however, for the usage you describe I don't think that there's a need to add a value to the list each time, simply type the vendor case # and you're done.

* There's no limit to the number of values you can add to the drop-down list of this field, however, I don't think that you should use the drop down list at all in order to track vendors case numbers.

* You can add this field to your customized Ticket details reports

HTH
Sherry

Rohizam
March 11th, 2009, 11:45 PM
Thanks for your respond.
I need to use it for my vendor case number with the purpose of tracking it on the report.
Because there no other field i can keyin on the ticket which i can track the vendor case id.
I also will be using the field2 as contract number. This number also given by the other vendor.
I need this two details in the report.

Thats why i ask if there were limit on the number of values i add in to the drop down list
It could be alot of case id i will be keyin.

Support Team
March 12th, 2009, 07:36 AM
Thanks for the additional information. So in this case I believe you won't have any problem - you can use this Field1 and Field2 as you wish as there is no limitation on the number of values you can have in the drop down list.

Sherry