RangerMSP Business Automation for successful ITs

Go Back   RangerMSP Forums > RangerMSP Software Discussion Forum (CCRM)

March 15th, 2009, 03:53 PM
kbmiller

We recently had a situation where the email connector stopped checking the pop3 mailbox for new messages and unfortunately didn't notice until a couple days later (we don't have very many submissions coming in via email yet).

This resulted in a somewhat embarrassing situation where the customer noticed the problem, not us, because they weren't getting the auto-response emails back.

We'd like to avoid that in the future, obviously. It seems there are some pretty straightforward messages in the log files indicating it couldn't connect to the mailbox. Has anyone looked at how to monitor the logs for errors and setting up alerts of some sort? There doesn't appear to be any built-in alerting of errors, which seems a bit curious.

I was going to see if I can get something set up using our Kaseya software, but am curious if anyone else has done anything.

March 15th, 2009, 05:02 PM
AN-Tech

I've also had this happen to me. Would love to know how to monitor this automatically.

March 15th, 2009, 06:20 PM
lpopejoy

I can't remember right off the top of my head... But isn't there a way to parse Log files with Kaseya? Worse case, you could just write a script (batch file or vb) that checked for certain text in the log file... If that text was found it could send you an email... You could even just run that script as a schedule task in Windows...

Post back and let us know what you do... I'm not using the email connector at all right now due to it not doing what I want to do, but when I start using it, I'd sure like to monitor it somehow!

Thanks for the great idea!

Luke Popejoy

March 15th, 2009, 06:21 PM
kbmiller

I'm working on setting it up with the log file parser right now, this is just my first time playing with that particular feature. Once I get it dialed in I'll share.

March 15th, 2009, 06:24 PM
lpopejoy

On a side note, are you using the email connector to create tickets from Kaseya alerts?

March 15th, 2009, 06:33 PM
kbmiller

Some. We did elect to use Commit's ticketing system instead of Kaseya's, so we have been working on it. We've been slowly easing into both Kaseya and Commit, but so far it seems to work fairly well.

March 15th, 2009, 06:48 PM
lpopejoy

Cool, well hopefully the upcoming release will give us all some new tools to aid integration and ease the administrative burden of being an MSP!