RangerMSP Business Automation for successful ITs

Go Back   RangerMSP Forums > RangerMSP Software Discussion Forum (CCRM)

January 14th, 2008, 10:13 PM
DaveTTS

What are most users using for hardware and software item type? Inventory or non-inventory? I imagine since most small service companies want to have minimum inventory on-hand non-inventory type should be used.

The only problem I see with this is you cannot track cost with the non-inventory type. Where is the cost tracked for these non-inventory items?

January 15th, 2008, 01:15 AM
Support Team

Both Inventory and Non-Inventory Parts in QuickBooks are created as Parts Items inRangerMSP. After the Item is created in RangerMSP, you can update the Cost for it in the Item's Cost field.

Alternatively you can try creating the Part Item in RangerMSP, with the Cost, and then create the Item in QuickBooks item based on the RangerMSP Item, using the QB menu (from the tool bar) > "Create New Part in QuickBooks based on RangerMSP Item" option, and select Inventory/Non-Inventory as you wish.

HTH

Sherry

January 26th, 2008, 12:50 PM
DaveTTS

Sherry,

I realize both could be used, but I would like to know which makes more sense to use for a small repair/networking company. As I said, we do not really keep inventory..other than a few small parts (cables, small switches, etc..)

Classifying parts as inventory for us seems like more work than it's worth.

January 28th, 2008, 04:24 AM
Support Team

When it comes to QuickBooks, I believe it's up to you whether to work with Inventory or Non-Inventory parts. I'm not sure how much more work it takes in order to classify parts as inventory in QuickBooks and it depends on the benefits and your own consideration.

As for RangerMSP, you should use Parts Items for any part, as there is not difference in RangerMSP for inventory or non-inventory parts. In any case, as said, both inventory and non-inventory QuickBooks Parts are created as Parts Items in RangerMSP, which include a Cost field.

I hope this helps.

Dina