RangerMSP Business Automation for successful ITs

Go Back   RangerMSP Forums > RangerMSP Software Discussion Forum (CCRM)

March 7th, 2014, 06:33 AM
maxtowns

Hi - we used to use the default numbering system in CommitCRM when saving Docs

Not exactly sure what the idea behind this is but it was very confusing to work out what doc is what when viewing them from File Explorer so I was very happy to see it is possible to not use the numbering system and just keep the file name 'as is'

However I now need to access one of these older docs and it is not opening but instead errors that the file is corrupt/do you trust it/YES/YES/YES but still won't open so I tried another numbered file - same thing - and another and another and others from other accounts and it would seem at this point that none of the numbered docs are opening

Any idea why this would be/what is going on please?

thanks!

March 7th, 2014, 06:43 AM
Support Team

When clicking the 'Show' button after selecting a Doc in the tab a Windows opens that clearly displays the full path where the file is. Is this file accessible? Can you copy/past and Windows Run it? Is the file open? Also, this may be a privileges issues - try running RangerMSP client as Administrator by right clicking its shortcut and selecting the 'Run as Administrator' option.

Hope this helps.

March 7th, 2014, 10:24 AM
maxtowns

yup pretty much already went through all those steps

all 'cool' with how the Docs work in that the 'files' in commit are effectively shortcuts to the actual file sitting in a folder on the server

I have RDC'd to the server logged on as top level admin and opening files (had already done) same result

Have also tried opening commit as admin (was already but did again)

Your permissions thing got me thinking though - are these files ones that were created on the previous server before we moved across to a new server...?

I've tried some other numbered files and a couple of them have actually opened so it doesn't look like it is to do with the numbering thing as such - but we changed the doc naming convention a month or two into using the new server so we have some created on old server some on new

I've also tried everything to make sure security on the one particular file I want to open is as wide open as can be (already was really) and have also set the trust centre tick boxes in word to allow everything (this was a problem we just had about opening an excel doc from an email in a ticket - error'd saying the file was corrupt/similar thing and had to untick the tick box in trust centre in Excel)

hmmmm well to be honest we can live without this particular file for now and I am hoping we will have a copy somewhere else and still have the old (virtual) server available so can hopefully get it/all affected docs from there if all else fails just a bit worrying as to what went/is maybe still going on

March 7th, 2014, 10:40 AM
Support Team

RangerMSP does not "care" what the actual filename on the server - it tries to open it the same whether it is a numeric file name or an alpha-numeric one that you set. The fact that numbered files can be opened, as you described, shows this. Anyway, if you can access these old files from the server then maybe it indeed does not matter at this time. Also, the idea of files moved from another server and permissions makes sense. In case you ever see this with new files let us know.