RangerMSP Business Automation for successful ITs

Go Back   RangerMSP Forums > RangerMSP Software Discussion Forum (CCRM)

August 12th, 2009, 04:48 PM
jtfinley

Had a customer who sent an email ; CommitCRM never created the ticket, just passed it through to our "audit" mailbox (gmail account). I have the domain "domainname.com" setup under their contacts..

August 12th, 2009, 05:18 PM
AN-Tech

I would verify that you have the domain name set on the Email field of the General tab for the Account and not under one of the contacts for the account.

August 13th, 2009, 08:18 AM
Support Team

Hi jtfinley,

If you have a contact with this domain name defined, this should work fine. It should work either via a the main email address or a contact's email address. You should make sure it's defined as explained in the user guide here.

Also, make sure you don't have more than a single account defined with this domain name. Duplicate accounts with the same domain create a conflict and a ticket cannot be created.

I hope this helps. Please keep us posted.

Ethan

August 13th, 2009, 08:48 AM
AN-Tech

I guess I should have read the guide closer, I didn't realize that it could be setup under a secondary contact as well.

August 13th, 2009, 02:32 PM
jtfinley

Ethan,

Yes, the emails are entered as stated in the guide. I took the opportunity to have another CommitCRM user shadow my experiences. The issue is, if the return email address from a sender does not exist, it HOLDS all tickets in the OUTBOX folder. I assume because it's trying to "auto-reply". Once I delete the offending email, and stop/restart the COMMITSERVER, it starts to work again. A malicious person could possibly send an email with a fake address and stop the queue, I consider this a flaw & a show-stopper.

August 13th, 2009, 02:55 PM
Support Team

Hi jtfinley,

Thanks for the additional information. This actually is very strange, and I suspect it has to do with the mail server specific settings. I would think that the mail server would send this email, and if the address does not exist, you will receive a delivery notification email later on. This is how it usually works, and this way the mail always leaves the queue. I believe there is probably a way to configure your mail server to work this way. We also recommend that the incoming mailbox will be scanned by a spam filtering engine before the Email Connector actually pulls the emails, to prevent the inbox from holding unwanted emails.

Ethan

August 13th, 2009, 04:40 PM
jtfinley

Ethan,

We use "ExchangeDefender" a MX record spam/antivirus service. All email goes thru their system first and then sends directly to our Exchange Server via SMTP. We allow anything originating on our network to relay thru our Exchange server.

August 24th, 2009, 09:08 AM
jtfinley

Had an issue today, that some SPAM sent to my SUPPORT@DOMAIN.COM had a Non-Existent email and HUNG the QUEUE. This is a problem or anyone using COMMIT's MailConnector is subject to a DoS attack.

August 24th, 2009, 09:56 AM
Support Team

jtfinley,

RangerMSP Email Connector is not originally designed to handle spam, what it does it that when an unrecognized email arrives it forwards it, as it, to the defined email address set as the "Internal Support Email".

As the email connector tries, by default, to forward such emails "as is" - or in other words try to relay it to the Internal Email Support address, your server probably blocks it.

I recommend that you:
(1) Make sure your mail server allows email relaying (of any Sender email address).
(2) Make sure that your mail server doesn't check for the existence of email accounts @ your domain (as it blocks outgoing emails).
(3) You can always change the Relay settings for RangerMSP Email Connector and have it forward emails (such as spam messages) as attachments to new emails (i.e. no email relay). This can be configured using the ServerConfig utiliy, the Email Connector tab - scroll down to the options found at the bottom of the tab.
(4) [you already do this] Reduce the amount of spam emails you receive to the connector email address.

Doron

August 25th, 2009, 05:54 AM
jtfinley

Hi Doron,

1: I have relaying to any device on my subnet. CommitCRM runs on my exchange.
2: I will setup Yahoo accounts for these devices. Difficult when you're managing 100+ devices.
3: I fwd all emails to a GMAIL account for fall-through.
4: Can't get any better than I have as far as SPAM protection, a MX service and UTM firewall

August 25th, 2009, 08:08 AM
Support Team

Hi jtfinley,

Thanks for the additional info -

1. You need to allow relaying for outgoing emails - any email accounts - you should configure your mail server to let you send emails with ANY sender email address (i.e. email relaying). This is should be OK because your not a spammer...

2. Not sure why you need this... I meant that you need to change your mail server configuration not to verify email address (I don't think you should create ones for your devices, it should just be an option to set in your mail server).

3. Gmail is fine, my suggestion here was to set the email connector in a way that it will not need relaying at all and will forward all unrecognized emails as attachments - and not using the original sender (i.e. relaying).

Doron