RangerMSP Business Automation for successful ITs

Go Back   RangerMSP Forums > RangerMSP Software Discussion Forum (CCRM)

September 30th, 2008, 11:46 PM
rjodwyer

Hi,

If staff leave one of our clients, how do we keep the history that we have had with that person, yet remove them from the secondary contacts view inCommitCRM?

I only see the option to delete the secondary contact, but this gives me the warning that any history will also be deleted for that contact, which runs contrary to what we are trying to achieve withCommitCRM.

Many Thanks,
Ryan

October 1st, 2008, 08:27 AM
Support Team

Hi Ryan,

deleting a secondary contact will indeed delete the history attached to it. What you may consider is renaming the contact (add a "NOT ACTIVE" suffix, or similar), so it will be clear that this contact is no longer active. You can also add some "zzz" characters at the beginning of the name, so they will be pushed to the end of the selection list when selecting contacts for this account.

HTH

Ethan

October 3rd, 2008, 03:27 PM
AeonixTech

Hmm why not bind the contact history to the account instead of directly to the contact? Store contact name and communication entry in a seperate table so if the contact is deleted, at least the history and record of conversation is saved. Its much cleaner to delete rather than have a bunch of accounts with "Not active" as contacts.

October 3rd, 2008, 04:04 PM
Support Team

ALL history linked to a secondary Contact is ALSO linked the the main Account record for that contact (this happens automatically by the system).

Just like you suggested - all activity is already saved in separate database tables, not together with the secondary Contact record itself.

When a secondary contact is deleted the activity and history records are reserved - You will continue to see all this information under the main Account of the secondary contact you deleted.
This means that the history itself (charges, notes etc.) is saved and still exists under the account when a secondary contact is deleted. The only info you'll potentially lose is the link of the activity/history record to a secondary contact (it will only be linked to the account now).

In cases where the name of the secondary contact is also a part of the activity description - i.e. "talked with Danny", "Help Rachael with the printer" etc. - everything is reserved and even when the secondary contact is deleted all the relevant information remains under the account, including the secondary contact name.

I hope this is clearer now.

Ethan