RangerMSP Business Automation for successful ITs

Go Back   RangerMSP Forums > RangerMSP Software Discussion Forum (CCRM)

October 17th, 2008, 06:15 AM
mkowalski

I need to know how to copy a Secondary Contact from one Account to a completely different Account.

October 17th, 2008, 07:03 AM
Support Team

Hi,

If you have a single contact which you wish to copy, you can simply copy the fields manually and create the new contact in the new account.

If you have many secondary contacts for a specific account, and you wish to copy all to a different company, you can export the list of secondary contacts to excel/text file and then import the list as secondary contacts to the other account.

To export the secondary contacts list you should first filter the accounts list to display only contacts which are linked to this account (make sure you display secondary contacts from the 'types filter'). Once the list displays only the relevant contacts, use the Account > Import & Export > Advanced Data Export and choose exactly which fields you wish to export.

Once you have the file (make sure to remove the main account from the output file), you can then go to the other account, and from the Contact tab, use right-click > Import Secondary Contacts. This will allow you to select the input file and map the fields for the import.

I hope this helps.

Neta

October 17th, 2008, 11:46 AM
FunctionOne

As a related though on this subject - it would be nice if when creating Secondary COntacts if they would by default take on the properties of the primary account - for example: address, phone etc. It seems a silly repetitive task to have to reenter the address and phone for every secondary contact when a good percentage of the time they work in the same location.

This would help to save time especially when setting up new clients.

October 17th, 2008, 01:58 PM
Support Team

Hi,

Actually I believe this already behaves the way you want it to.

Each secondary contact may contain an address or not. If no address is defined for the contact, then the main account address is used.

If you want to display the secondary address (of the contact itself), you can customize the report, and instead of field: "Tickets – Account: Full Address", you should use the field: "Tickets – Contact: Full Address if secondary". I believe some reports already display it this way.

Doron

October 18th, 2008, 02:10 PM
FunctionOne

Thanks for the clarification - I think the expected outcome would be that opening a form to create a new contact would display the Account address/phone etc within the form itself thus visually supporting the fact that the contact by default is utilzing this information.

October 20th, 2008, 07:37 AM
Support Team

Interesting point, we will look into this and see if it is feasible and whether it makes sense to use it in all cases (some users track different locations for the same Account using secondary contacts and it may cause confusion in cases where the address info is copied and is incorrect for this secondary contact). Thanks!

Sherry