RangerMSP Business Automation for successful ITs

Go Back   RangerMSP Forums > Running an IT Services Business

October 21st, 2011, 11:17 AM
-David-

HI all

Has anyone had to recover data from an SSD yet and if so what software did you use?

Thanks Dave

October 31st, 2011, 04:49 PM
DynamicIT

Hi David.

Were you able to use standard tools? Any tips or experience you care to share?

Cheers
Mike

December 18th, 2011, 06:18 AM
-David-

I used Acronis 2011 with no problems,

freezing drive was solved after a firmware update OCZ drive (never again)

May 22nd, 2012, 11:42 PM
DynamicIT

I researched SSDs carefully before deploying. We are using Intel 520 series SSDs in customer servers to host databases requiring performance. The 5 year warranty speaks to heir confidence in the product. The performance is very very good, and the firmware's garbage collection keeps decent performance even through the RAID card the drive sits behind does not allow the TRIM support in the OS to work.

Generally this is in a server with a mirrored OS drive. We're not trusting enough yet to have a server boot from a single SSD (or a mirrored SSD). By the end of the year we'll more seriously consider doing it.

HOWEVER I'm well aware that HP will be reluctant to give decent warranty support in a system booting from a foreign SSD.... so we may stick with an OS mirrored drive using all HP gear and stick with SSDs for the data drives. If there is a warranty issue we can rip out the SSD and say 'the problem is still here'. HP's SSDs (last time I checked) were not cheap and not the fastest of the bunch. This may have changed by now.

Cheers
Mike

July 5th, 2012, 02:01 PM
nattivillin

I don't trust SSD's yet in a production environment. The performance gain is almost to good to pass up.

You doing raid 1 or 5 with ssd's?

July 6th, 2012, 02:54 AM
-David-

hi all despite saying I would not go with OCZ again I am now using OCZ SSD x2 for the OS in a raid 1 config with this hardware

http://www.raidon.com.tw/content.php...00462&p_id=124

as its independant from the OS.

Its a bit loud with a small fan running at over 8000 rpm inside the housing so i removed the rear cover and fan in mine soldererd a 80x80 fan to the small fan connector block and let it control 1 of the 80x80 case fans. not had any problems with overheating :-) and its quite.

will be using this on my server as well soon as it would mean I can have 3 drives in a raid 5 with a hot spare.. Dell T300

I did come across a snippet of info though that put a shiver down my back... and that was the fact that if a SSD fails it is also prone to loosing the partition table data, that would be a nightmare for retrieving data.

December 12th, 2013, 01:26 AM
Tokulur

I would attach that drive to a Linux machine, or easier : boot that machine from a live Linux CD.