RangerMSP Business Automation for successful ITs

Go Back   RangerMSP Forums > RangerMSP Software Discussion Forum (CCRM)

November 20th, 2017, 01:16 PM
rodder

I have not used CommitCRM since ver 6.0. I like the updates that have occured and i am looking at starting to use it again. Is there anyone out there that uses CommitCRM in a hosted environment. I would like to get it up and running without running a server in-house. I am just a small 1 man shop and dont need a server. Hopefully someone out there has done this.

Thanks

Mike

November 21st, 2017, 06:03 AM
Support Team

Thank you for posting and feedback!

Yes, many use RangerMSP hosted in a cloud server and access RangerMSP via its Web interface module and also by running the client over RDP. Please note that using RangerMSP with a cloud server requires that you'll be using it with its SQL back-end.

When it comes to where to host - you can host with Amazon AWS, Microsoft Azure or with your-preferred-hosting provider.

Hope this helps!

June 20th, 2019, 03:53 PM
DurhamIT

Is there a way to connect the Windows Client to the hosted server without having to use RDP? What ports would have to be open?

The idea of having an RDP server for one app seems extreme.

Thanks

June 21st, 2019, 06:12 AM
Support Team

Thank you for asking.

You can use RangerMSP remotely / outside of the office, you can use RangerMSP's Web interface.

When using RangerMSP with its SQL backend, then once connected to your office over VPN you can run RangerMSP client locally on your remote PC and point it to your server. When logging in you'll be asked to select the VPN checkbox. Depending on your connection string this may work reasonably well, however, using the Windows client over RDP offers a faster experience.

Hope this helps!

July 23rd, 2019, 05:26 AM
nattivillin

We use CommitCRM on a terminal server as a web app. Then we have the desktop version remotely, anywhere (except phones) because the screens are too small.

July 23rd, 2019, 12:03 PM
HavenZone

the only way this is usable is RDP or some other remote desktop to a terminal/workstation on the same network as the server. Trying to use the desktop app over a vpn runs so poorly that it is unusable. The web portal is very lacking compared to the desktop version.

July 23rd, 2019, 12:23 PM
Support Team

RDP and the like are indeed faster than using the Windows client over VPN, nevertheless, there's a way to optimize it further, it won't compare to RDP though it is still faster than without it and sometimes it may be required to use it. In case you haven't tried it yet, check this option.

Hope this helps!

August 3rd, 2019, 06:08 AM
PC Southwest

Does anyone have CommitCRM installed on a webserver, with "Remote Desktops" accessing the server? By remote desktops I do not mead RDP, but remote workstations on the same server?

I currently have a Server 2012 in my office and Win 7 PC locally connected, but spend most time Teamviewer(ing) to the Win7 PC (server2012 if Win7 is down). This works great but looking for a web based solution.

Commit - Do you have any info on "Swing migrating" a local server to a web server?

Cheers
Mark

August 5th, 2019, 06:06 AM
Support Team

Thank you for posting this.

As mentioned in one of the previous posts, RangerMSP can be hosted on a cloud server and accessed using the remote technologies, such as RDP, as well as its Web Interface.

We know of many customers that hosts RangerMSP in the cloud already. Usually with Azure or AWS.

AWS also offers a virtual network with hosted remote desktops, aka "AWS Workspaces" and it works well too. Basically it's RangerMSP install on a virtual server in a virtual network, where the Workspaces (remote desktops) are virtual PCs on that network running RangerMSP locally - connected to the virtual server that hosts RangerMSP.

In the cloud RangerMSP should be use with its SQL backend.

We will be happy to assist with any specific migration. Feel free to drop us an email to Support@.

Hope this helps.

August 7th, 2019, 05:30 AM
LFITServices

It's disappointing to read every time someone asks about better mobile access that Commit just keeps their ears closed and looks the other way.

This is our biggest gripe with the software, otherwise it is great.

Recently we have started evaluating alternatives that are web based and mobile friendly with apps. It is going to cost us more but we need the better remote access abilities.

I recently performed functions as a tech out in the field and tried to use the Web interface as my techs do on a mobile device. After that experience I knew I can't expect them to keep using this interface. It is not optimized at all for touch.

August 7th, 2019, 05:55 AM
PC Southwest

Hi LFITServices,

I feel this thread relates to hosting CommitCRM on a web server and the access that is required from an office PC.

I tend to use TeamViewer to my local PC then access CommitCRM this way, this allows full access. Which is the reason for my question, I am looking for two solutions to host CommitCRM and how you can access remotely from my PC. Logically, you could use an RDP client app on a smartphone/tablet. I agree the web service is not a complete solution and do not have use for this.

CommitCRM offers the features we require and recently they have made changes that work for us, so do feel they are listening.

Possibly, CommitCRM could supply a forum sticky post that would show considered updates and changes for future versions? This may allay concerns and keep committed Commit(ers) happy.

No need to reply :)

August 7th, 2019, 10:11 AM
nattivillin

We've been asking for that for years. They wont even let us see what is being considered.

Terminal app / rdc works perfectly. The web version has improved, but still a pain to use compared to CRM's that was built to be mobile friendly (especially touch screen devices).