RangerMSP Business Automation for successful ITs

September 30th, 2019, 08:27 AM
CraigYellick

I've searched everywhere in the documentation and cannot find how to delete an asset via the .NET API. Actually, didn't see any way to delete *any* kind of record.

Context is we have some automation/integration with auto-discovery of new devices via the Auvik RMM. Occasionally it creates duplicates. I've got a routine that merges info from the duplicate into the "keeper" asset and the final step is to delete the dup.

-- Craig

September 30th, 2019, 10:42 AM
Support Team

Thank you for asking. The API allows inserts and updates and this time, unlike records deletion. We have this request on file and may implement in the future. From what you described it seems like finding the root cause for why duplicate assets are created is probably the way to go at this point. Hope this helps.

September 30th, 2019, 10:58 AM
CraigYellick

Yes, being able to delete would be very useful.

Unfortunately the duplicates are only identified after the fact, it is not possible to prevent it completely.

September 30th, 2019, 11:07 AM
Support Team

What may help is this - the Asset Code is unique, when set. Assuming this Assets you create have any unique ID you can use, pass that tot he Code field in the API- the insertion will be rejected in case another Asset with the same Code already exists.

Hope this helps.

October 12th, 2019, 11:08 PM
adent-ctc

When creating CommitCRM API support in our Jupiter Server we came up against this problem of deleting records.
The CommitCRM API doesn't support deletion at all, in any of the data tables.
I wish it did, but alas it doesn't.

Our solution is when DELETE is called, behind the scene the record is EDITED so that all fields in the record are set to null, a random value or a default value (whatever we could identify that makes sense for the data type of the field).
It isn't ideal, but was the best approach we could think of.