RangerMSP Business Automation for successful ITs

October 20th, 2009, 10:22 AM
issltd

I have just been experimenting with Tasks and was finding on occasion when editing a task that I was accidentally clicking on Done when I intended to just click on OK. Intuitively I must think an OK should be in that position but that is not my concern… I just will have to get used to that.

My issue is that when making that error the Task is seemingly gone other than a History record if one chooses to create one. There is no “Are you sure?” prompt and no way to resurrect the task other than recreating it from scratch.

I guess I am comparing it to Outlook where if I accidentally set a Task to be Completed I can just view completed tasks and correct the status accordingly.

Is there some way to get a more forgiving Done status on Tasks or would this be a feature request?

Thanks,

Howard

October 20th, 2009, 01:18 PM
Support Team

Hi Howard,

Thanks for posting this.
I've forwarded this feedback to the product manager with some suggestions on how to make the meaning of the Done button stand out more. I would like to thank you for bringing this issue to our attention.

For now, we suggest to:
* Create history notes when marking a task done in RangerMSP. - This will serve as a task record which will be available to you after completion of the task and ticket
* If a task that has been synced to MS Outlook has been deleted or marked as done in RangerMSP, you can restore the task from the deleted items folder to the Tasks folder in MS Outlook, and from there will be recreated in RangerMSP upon synchronization (Requires synchronizing in Rebuild Mode).

Hope this helps.

Reno Breen

December 6th, 2009, 09:19 AM
expekt

I totally agree with Howard her. We are new to CommitCRM and one of the commonly errors is that we push th Done button ant the Task is gone. We don't use the Outlook task sync, meaning we have no way to restore the task. What about a Completed task view just as we have the Pending tasks view?

December 6th, 2009, 07:07 PM
tcsrvcs

I also when editing a task I found that I was accidentally clicking on Done when I intended to just click on OK.

December 7th, 2009, 08:23 AM
Support Team

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the great comments regarding this feature. I've copied all comments in this thread to the feature update request, and forwarded the file to the product management team.

We'll do our best to have this addressed as soon as possible.

Thanks again for the great feedback.
Reno Breen

March 21st, 2011, 01:19 PM
bdbrower

Looks like nothing has happened regarding this issue in over a year. We are just starting to use the Tasks feature and have the same problem... it's really easy to click DONE instead of OK and delete (forever) the task. Even with the confirmation window that appears after clicking DONE, it's easy to make this mistake. Feature recommendation: Keep this in the database even after marked as DONE with a status of DONE that can be filtered out of viewed tasks and that can "unchecked" as DONE or permanently deleted with a separate action.

March 21st, 2011, 01:44 PM
Support Team

Noted. Thanks.

March 22nd, 2011, 05:52 AM
lpopejoy

Funny, i did this a couple days ago myself. It does seem like that DONE button is where the OK button would intuitively be.

March 22nd, 2011, 08:23 PM
AN-Tech

Also did it again a few days ago. It needs to be renamed and have a way to cancel out of it.

April 22nd, 2012, 11:18 PM
Gianthead

Here's some more on this, it's really not hard to put a MessageBox("Are you sure you want to mark this task as done" )

This is from one of the guys that works for me

I agree that breaking up a ticket into small tasks is a good idea for larger jobs.

I had a problem with the tasks I was assigned. I opened them up to look at them, and I wanted to get back out because the job hadn’t been done yet, but I think I clicked “Done” and got a warning or confirmation dialog. I think I clicked Cancel because I didn’t want to change the status. Somehow I wasn’t able to “back out” of the task successfully, and now it is gone from the Pending list. I haven’t been able to find where it has gone in the system?

However, I was trying to figure out what I clicked wrong and I may have selected one of Nick’s tasks and somehow set it to “Done”. So If the “Done” tasks are still somewhere in the system, that would be great, otherwise it may be difficult to keep track of a project, if you ever want to go back and read the notes on a Done task.

As you can see, it's not intuitive AT ALL.

I will forward him back this post link and this
Create history notes when marking a task done in CommitCRM. - This will serve as a task record which will be available to you after completion of the task and ticket

But I have to say, to not even have a message box or a history note, amazes me. It has to make me wonder how many users are actually usinmg tasks ...

April 23rd, 2012, 06:03 AM
Support Team

Thank you for the feedback, comments noted.

One thing I can think of is that you can control whether On-Task-Done an History record will pop automatically with the Task details or whether you will be prompt asking you whether you want to add an History note for the Done Task.
In the scenario you specified you should probably change the system to always automatically open/add an History about the Done task. Then if if you Done by accident, you still have a complete log/details of the task.

This setting can be configured under the Tools > Options > Calendar tab. On the bottom right area you'll find a drop down saying "On Done:" and you can select the action you want to be taken (None / New History note / Suggest).

Hope this helps.

May 3rd, 2012, 08:29 AM
jjackson

This really needs to be taken into consideration for a change. While we can set the option for history note, 1) that has to be done on each individual PC, 2) that still leaves no "undo" option - by the time you see it, the task is "done", 3) If the user doesn't save the note, it is gone, 4) since the setting can't be controlled system-wide, if a user doesn't have it set, or inadvertently changes it...

Please make this a priority for consideration. Offer either:
a) a message with a cancel option
b) a way to view completed tasks and update the status to "not done"
c) make completing the task a little less ambiguous with "OK"

May 4th, 2012, 06:02 AM
Support Team

Thank you. All will be reviewed and considered.

May 9th, 2012, 02:22 PM
sctelcom

+1 for us on the Unforgiving Tasks Done Button issue.

When a user opens a pending task and clicks DONE, the app automatically launches a new history note and removes the pending task.

If the user doesn't save the history note, all of the task data is permanently lost.

We are not use the pending task feature at all due to this loophole.

Please consider implementing logic within the app to prevent the data from being deleted when the user cancels the subsequent history note.

Thank you once again for always considering our input!

May 9th, 2012, 02:52 PM
Support Team

Thank you for the additional input and for the suggestion.

May 10th, 2012, 08:51 PM
FTICHS

+ 1. Perhaps add an option under Options to auto-create a "locked" Task Complete history note when the task is marked complete. This locked history note would include the task verbiage and cannot be changed or deleted without the appropriate permissions. As a related question, is there an audit log or a verbose history mode that allows administrators to see who created tasks, when they are created, what changes are made to tasks, when they are completed etc.

I would like to be able to see all timestamped changes made to our system, being able to do so would mitigate somewhat the impact of these disappearing tasks.

May 11th, 2012, 06:05 AM
Support Team

Thanks for your suggestions. Interesting. In regards to your question - Each Task, Appointment and actually any other type of record in the system (Accounts, Tickets, Assets, Sales Opportunities, History Notes, etc.) have the following audit information: Created by user, creation date/time, updated by user, updated date/time. For "main" entities like, Accounts and Tickets, the information is found under the 'Notes' tab, for other 'smaller' entities, like Tasks, History Notes, etc. the information is displayed within the window itself - for example, with Task just above the buttons displayed at the bottom.

On a side note I would add that for Tickets there's some additional automatic audit option where major changes for the Ticket record are logged under the Ticket History (noted as 'Audit' information).

Thanks.

August 8th, 2012, 04:42 PM
sctelcom

+1 Users can still irreversibly delete a task.

August 10th, 2012, 01:42 PM
racassel

+2 +1 for tasks, and +1 for the calendar window. Ok and Done are simply in the wrong place and should be switched. IMHO :)

January 22nd, 2013, 10:36 AM
danoli

+1 for the tasks problem. It really needs to be archived, not deleted.
Please have this so done tasks are simple marked as done.

January 22nd, 2013, 08:51 PM
raymond

+10... we have pretty much stopped using tasks becuase of the "done" tasks button problem (that and the fact that can't add history notes directly, they are missing the status and sub-status fields and the due date can't be set to null)...

//ray

April 11th, 2013, 02:16 PM
ctscomp

I am doing a trial of CommitCRM and so far it has worked really well, but I spent 15 minutes trying to figure out where my task went and how to undo my accidental DONE click. It makes it difficult to implement a system when it is unforgiving to human error.

April 11th, 2013, 02:29 PM
Support Team

Thank you for your feedback.

April 12th, 2013, 11:55 AM
racassel

Just an FYI to help get some functionality out of the Task feature (until it is completed :))
An important feature from my previous CRM was the ablity to change a task to an appointment. I use tasks for ad-hock ideas that can spark at any time, and a place to drop items in the heat of the daily battle to schedule or create a ticket later.

Synching tasks with Outlook, I discovered I can have my way with my tasks and drag the them to the Outlook calendar. Once CommitCRM syncs, all I have to do is link the new appointment to a contact, then create my ticket off of that. Its a real timesaver, however I would prefer that standard functionality were built into CommitCRM tasks.

I also discovered I can drag an emal from Outlook to the Outlook calendar and use the same process to link to a contact and create a ticket from the email. If I drag an email into Commit, the best I can hope is to have it show up in the Docs section. Maybe here offer a choice "Do you want to link your item to Document, Calendar or Task?, also helpful if implemented, with the option to choose one as a default selection.

Right clicking on calendar or tasks in Outlook I can open a seperate window which is really handy. It would be nice if CommitCRM could undock windows for a richer user experience.

April 12th, 2013, 01:01 PM
racassel

I forgot to mention, another area where Outlook bridges the gap is the ability to right click on a boat load of tasks and change the date. With Commit, its double-click -right click-date click-click-click one at a time drudgery. Yea Outlook. Now if I could only figure out how to have Outlook close the 1,272 open tickets in the database.......... Really need a utility for that but I think there are dozens of requests over the years for this funtion....Hopefully it is or will be in the new version...

April 13th, 2013, 08:20 AM
lpopejoy

I feel you pain on the open tickets. Look at Autoit. That's what I used for that. You have to be VERY careful though. Create a backup before testing.

August 2nd, 2018, 06:48 PM
Rob@ITNetworks

I just spent ten minutes looking for the task I accidently marked as Done before finding this article and staring at it in open-mouthed disbelief that any DATABASE driven application would delete a record ... I'm gobsmacked ...

August 3rd, 2018, 06:08 AM
Support Team

Thank you for posting. This was probably discussed but - Done Tasks are indeed deleted, however, depending on your settings you can have them logged as History Notes automatically when the Task is done. Please visit Tools > Options > Calendar tab and under the Miscellaneous box look for the 'On done' section and verify that the system opens a new history note automatically when the task is done.

Hope this helps.

November 12th, 2019, 03:56 PM
BansheeNetworks

The Ticket "Done button of doom" which deletes tickets appears to have been an issue since 2009. Can you project when it might be fixed, without having to do a history work-around, as we just had another new user of the feature just delete a slew of tickets?

November 12th, 2019, 05:15 PM
racassel

Why not just change the name of the button to DELETE ? For now, anyhow.

November 13th, 2019, 06:05 AM
Support Team

Thank you for posting and your feedback.

We assume that above you refer to Tasks unlike to Tickets. Please consider changing the settings under Tools > Options > Calendar tab to automatically add a new History Note when a Task is done, this automatically document that the Task existed as well as preserving its details as part of the note.

Hope this helps.